Ervin, J., P. Butler, L. Wilkinson, M. Piper and S. Watkins. 2010. Inspiring Support and Commitment for Protected Areas through Communication, Education and Public Awareness Programs: A Quick Guide for Protected Area Practitioners. Quick Guide Series, J. Ervin ed. Arlington, VA: Rare Conservation.
This 30-page handbook provides concise information on seven steps that can be undertaken to attempt to create sustainable behaviour change in a target population. It is introduced with the CBD’s Programme of Work on Protected Areas in mind.
The seven steps include:
- understanding societal and conservation context;
- changing knowledge and attitudes;
- changing social norms, values, perceptions, and conversations;
- removing barriers and creating incentives;
- motivating positive actions;
- sustaining behaviour change over time
- assessing and monitoring the impacts of behaviour change.