Office of the Pacific Ocean Commissioner
A small, dedicated, team of ocean experts supports the Commissioner. The Office’s role includes:
- Enhancing coordination, collaboration and integration – with a focus on development effectiveness and improving return on investment.
- Assisting the Commissioner to undertake high level-advocacy and awareness activities.
- Providing expertise and support to Pacific Island Countries and Territories on cross-sectoralocean issues, such as biodiversity in areas beyond national jurisdiction.
- Developing coordinated approaches to measurement and reporting – lifting accountability.
- Promoting Pacific Island Countries and Territories establish maritime boundaries and extended continental shelves.
- Analysis of linkages between oceans and climate change, ensuring the Pacific is well placed to meet the challenges ahead.
In addition, technical and scientific support for the Commissioner is also provided by the CEOs of relevant Pacific regional organisations (CROP Agencies), particularly the Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC), the Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA), the Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Program (SPREP) and the University of the South Pacific (USP), and through their CROP Marine Sector Working Group.