Skip to main content

Exploring at the opportunities and challenges in implementing the concept of ‘Other effective area-based conservation measures’ (OECMs). As governments negotiate the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, there is strong and growing global support for effectively protecting and conserving at least 30% of the earth’s land, sea, and freshwater ecosystems by 2030, as a key requirement for halting and beginning to reverse biodiversity loss, as well as contributing to addressing the climate crisis. Protecting and conserving at least 30% by 2030 must be addressed in the context of recognising the rights of Indigenous peoples and local communities and be combined with applying effective sustainability measures across the remaining 70% of the planet. A critical point is that to be successful, protecting and conserving 30% of the planet must focus on effective, equitable protected and conserved areas that are in places important for biodiversity conservation. Under the Convention on Biological Diversity, conserved areas will be implemented as 'Other effective area-based conservation measures' (OECMs), following the CBD decision and IUCN guidance. This webinar looks at the opportunities and challenges in implementing the OECMs idea and the need to speak a common language on what they mean and how they are implemented.